diazapam-like alkyloid?

bogus address bogus at purr.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 06:55:11 EST 2002

[sedatives]
> Some milder plants are Papaver, you dip the head in a glass of
> warm milk.  The german name is sleepycup.

Better known as poppy.  As in opium.  As in violently addictive.
You can get just as hooked on poppy heads as on injected heroin.

> The root of Valeriana officinalis can be used for tea or a tincture,
> (soak it for 3 month in alcohol - i like cheap wodka) but it taste
> terrible.

Sedative, not all that much like diazepam, but much less addictive (if
it has any dependency risk at all).  Good bet if it works.  But it can
make depression worse or interfere with the action of antidepressants.

> melissa officinalis is also very effective. In europe they had a 35%
> tincture called Melisana.

I would have said "mildly effective".  Probably the gentlest option.

> Datura stramonium works also, but is very dangerous and may kill you

It can also stimulate instead of sedating.  Really nasty stuff.

========> Email to "jc" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce. <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html  food intolerance data and recipes,
freeware logic fonts for the Macintosh, and Scots traditional music resources