Ugly Yucca

Plainsman reikirk at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 4 22:47:09 EST 2002

> My yucca is big and getting a bit ugly. [assuming Y. elephantipes]
>
> How about cutting off all green stem and leaf growth and waiting for the
> original woody stem to produce new buds?

   In a former life I propagated at least 12-15 of these (inside). It
doesn't matter if you cut in green stem or heavy, leafless "trunk". The
latter, at least, will almost always produce two new shoots, yielding a
denser plant (and after the second or third time, an overcrowded one).
   Nor does it matter if you discard the old plant, peel "enough"
leaves off the cut tops, cure the cutting for a day or two and stick
them back in the pot. Which will also leave you with "plants" from day
one: These things aren't fast growing in any case, and it's perfectly
feasible to plant a 12-18" stem with, say, a dozen leaves left on top.
You may lose a few leaves, but overall more presentable than a bare
stump.