Climbing tomato seeds

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Mar 11 18:25:26 EST 2002

In article <u8ok11jsgth243 at corp.supernews.com>,
Nick Z <flashmystNOSPAM at iwon.com> wrote:
>Thanks for pointing that out. I thought there was a special climbing tomato
>species. I could really use those in my little garden. I remember somebody
>told me long time ago about Californian climbing tomatoes, but what it
>probably was is regular Californian tomatoes that somebody let climb.

Most modern and commercial tomatoes are 'determinate' - they grow to a
fairly short height only.  Most older varieties are 'indeterminate' -
they just keep growing and sprawling if they aren't staked.  Staking
means tieing the plant to a stake or trellis or whatever.  So if a
variety is labelled as a 'staking' or 'indeterminate' type that's what
you are looking for.  Staking is too labor-intensive for commercial
growers, but it's great for gardeners with limited space, since you
get a lot more crop per area.

If you only have room for one plant, you might enjoy a cherry tomato,
since you can just go out there after work and graze on it, very relaxing.
My favorite is 'Gardener's Delight' but many people like 'Sweet 100' and
'Sweet Million'.  These all grow like crazy and are very productive.  Not
all cherry tomatoes are indeterminate, however.