need advice on houseplants

John Margetts john at jmargetts.fslife.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 00:52:45 EST 2002

Richi,

Never, ever accept your limitations, or else you end up a cripple.

You may not know enough at the present to grow huseplants, but you can
certainly learn.  The main things are light and water.  Buy plants that like
your light levels and ask how to water them.  It's watering that lets most
unsuccessful people down.  The basic technique for watering is to wait until
the soil/compost is mostly but not completely dry and then give plenty,
allowing the pot to drain well after watering.

You can learn: plants, brain surgery, rocket science, whatever, but not by
listening to Cereoid+10.

Cereoid+10,

I ran my own nursery for many years and was always happy to sell plants to
anyone, and I was always happy to teach them whatever they needed to know.
Returning customers suggested I was quite successful.

John

"Cereoid+10" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:I_nd9.2471$X77.51040462 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> Actually not at all helpful. John should wake up and smell the rotting
> foliage.
> Anyone who works in a nursery/florist that cares about plants would not
sell
> you live plants to take home and kill. You should seek out someone who
sells
> them cheap off the back of a truck who is trying to make a quick buck and
> couldn't care less about the fate of the plants.
>
> It is unrealistic to expect you to suddenly be able to master growing
plants
> because your admitted black thumb is an indication that you have neither
the
> time nor inclination to care for them properly. Plants are living things
> that need to be care for not inanimate objects or accessories. You would
be
> better advised to get (artificial) silk plants or sculpture than to kill
> more plants. Accept your limitations. Some sort of phallic sculpture would
> impress the chicks, if that is your goal.

<snip>