Sunflowers

Ralph Erickson erickson at snip.net
Tue Sep 10 14:05:07 EST 2002

  I agree with you that sunflowers do not "follow the sun." Having grown
large sunflowers in the garden, in the Philadelphia area, for several years
I can affirm that they are not "heliotropic." The flowers face east, or
perhaps east by southeast throuout the day. Several years ago, we drove
across North Dakota in August. It was striking, looking toward the west, to
see many acres of flowers filling the landscape.
   In Charles B. Heiser's _The_Sunflower_ 1976, chapter 3 is entitled _The
_Sunflower _of _the _Poet. On p. 28 he writes, "What can the botanist  say
about  the turning of the sunflower to the sun, in view or the overwhelming
evidence from the poets? He can say, 'Not So.' . . . ." . . . . .
    Ralph O. Erickson