plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family?

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Tue Feb 4 16:26:43 EST 2003

A rootstock cannot be a tuber because a tuber is a modified stem.

A variety of terms are applied to storage structures of Dioscorea.
Katherine Esau in her Anatomy of Seed Plants text, Hortus Third,
Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (under yam) and all the college
introductory botany texts I checked all say Dioscorea has a storage
root or tuberous root. Hortus Third also says D. bulbifera produces
aerial tubers, and some Dioscorea species have rhizomes. A few
websites even claim some Dioscorea species do have corms.

Distinctions between types of modified stems, such as stolons,
rhizomes, tubers and corms, are not always clear cut.

Reference

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=dioscorea+corm&btnG=Google+Search

David R. Hershey