plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family?

Cereoid+10 cereoid at prodigy.net
Wed Feb 5 04:35:22 EST 2003

The term rootsock does not mean the same as true roots. Roostock refers to
the central body of perennial plants and can be rhizomes, tubers, bulbs,
etc.

Webster's (which is not a botanical reference anyway) is wrong. The
rootstock of Dioscorea is a tuber. Often it is fleshy but it can be woody
and caudiciform. None have tunicated corms.

You should look for yourself rather than rely on sources based on second or
third hand information.

David Hershey <dh321 at excite.com> wrote in message
news:7039c6ef.0302041326.22733e31 at posting.google.com...
> A rootstock cannot be a tuber because a tuber is a modified stem.
>
> A variety of terms are applied to storage structures of Dioscorea.
> Katherine Esau in her Anatomy of Seed Plants text, Hortus Third,
> Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (under yam) and all the college
> introductory botany texts I checked all say Dioscorea has a storage
> root or tuberous root. Hortus Third also says D. bulbifera produces
> aerial tubers, and some Dioscorea species have rhizomes. A few
> websites even claim some Dioscorea species do have corms.
>
> Distinctions between types of modified stems, such as stolons,
> rhizomes, tubers and corms, are not always clear cut.
>
> Reference

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=dioscorea+corm&btnG=Googl
e+Search

news:<flA%9.3109$LZ6.1357 at newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>...