plant that grows from a relative of the Yam family?

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Thu Feb 6 19:40:20 EST 2003

Rootstock is one of several botanical terms that have multiple
definitions. You seem to be referring to the old gardening definition
of rootstock as a synonym for rhizome or underground stem. Using
rootstock as a term for a stem is obviously confusing and therefore
undesirable.

The more useful definition of rootstock is the root bearing part of a
grafted plant. However, even when applied to grafting, rootstock is
somewhat misleading. Less misleading terms are understock or stock. A
stock may consist solely of root tissue. However, a stock is usually
going to consist mostly of root tissue with a small amount of stem
tissue. The stock of a topgrafted fruit tree will contain considerable
stem tissue. A stock may include an underground stem but usually it
will not. About the only plant with tubers that is occasionally
grafted is potato. Tomato is grafted on potato as a novelty or for
research.

I mentioned several botanical sources, not just Websters Dictionary.
You mentioned no sources. Katherine Esau was a well respected plant
anatomist. The root chapter in her textbook, Anatomy of Seed Plants,
2nd ed. says Dioscorea has "storage roots." Maybe Esau, Hortus Third
and the half dozen college botany textbooks I consulted are wrong and
Dioscorea does have tubers and not storage roots as you contend. If
so, where is some published proof of that? I checked Simpson and
Ogorzally (1986) which says there is controversy whether Dioscorea
storage organs represent stem or root tissue.

Terms for modified stems are not uniformly defined and are often
confusing. There seems to be more diversity in underground stems than
can be accomodated by the handful of terms commonly used. Tuberous
root and tuber are particularly confusing terms. The term storage root
seems to be preferred over tuberous root in botany textbooks and is
certainly more accurate.

There are different definitions for tuber. Some authorities restrict
tuber to a swollen underground organ that develops from a rhizome or
stolon. By that definition, tuberous begonia and cyclamen do not
produce tubers although they are commonly called tubers. Cyclamen is
often referred to as a corm as well. Their storage organs develop
mainly from the hypocotyl and have a vertical orientation, not the
horizontal orientation of a "true" tuber. They are sometimes termed
tuberous stems instead (Hartmann and Kester 1983). However, that term
adds additional confusion. The aerial tubers of some Dioscorea species
are also not "true" tubers and are sometimes termed tubercles or
bulbils.

David R. Hershey