genetical relationship of apple and peach

Cereoid+10 cereoid at prodigy.net
Sat Feb 22 10:01:45 EST 2003

Here is Iris Cohen's reply in the botany newsgroup.

Her explanation should be sufficient to satisfy the non-biologist.

Bottom line is that both are in the family Rosaceae.

If by genetic affinity, you mean, can they be crossed to produce hybrids?
The answer is no. They are in separate genera that are not interfertile.

Iris Cohen <iriscohen at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20030222085844.04034.00000064 at mb-ci.aol.com...
> << Are apple and peach genetically related (and how)?
>
> As I am not a biologist, I tried to simply google this. People say apple,
peach
> and quince are closely related,  >>
>
> Apples, peaches, & quince are all members of the rose family, Rosaceae.
You
> don't really need a table for this. In the spring, go out & look at apple
&
> peach trees. If there are no peach trees around, look at cherry trees &
compare
> them to apples. Look at some other members of the rose family, like single
> flowered roses, hawthorns, shadbush, flowering quince, whatever grows in
your
> area. You will soon see the traits they have in common. Next fall, look at
rose
> hips and compare them with apples.
> Apples, quince, and pears are closely related. Some authorities place them
all
> in the genus Malus. They are known as pome fruits because the fruits all
have
> the same structure, five small seeds enclosed in a hard fibrous container
> inside an edible fruit. Peaches nowadays are placed in the genus Prunus,
along
> with cherries, almonds, plums, apricots, & all the other stone fruits.
They all

news:b37su9$q8r$07$1 at news.t-online.com...