"Piss Off" plant", Coleus canina ?

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Feb 26 09:46:35 EST 2003

In article <8d47a.1110$oM4.147 at newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
Cereoid+10+ <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote:
>I did a search on "Coleus canina" and not only is the name consistently
>misspelled but most of the information given is false and fantasy. The plant
>is a well documented widespread weedy species not a hybrid created in
>Germany.

Sounds like this year's version of of Citrosa, the Mosquito Repeller
Plant.  This robust and attractive scented geranium received a lot of
hype some years ago as just the thing to keep mosquitos away from your
patio, complete with hype and fantasy about being genetically
engineered in Europe to fight malaria in the tropics.  As far as i can
tell, it's yet another complex hybrid, perhaps mostly 'rose' and
'lemon' by the plant habit, leaf shape and scent, and about as
effective as any other citrus scented plant at repelling mosquitos,
i.e.  marginal to nil even if you rub the juice on your skin.