plant reproduction

cra2 deletethis_cra2 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 13:23:58 EST 2003

Sorry to bother you, but I have a curiousity about sexual reproduction in
plants and so far I've not been able to find an easy answer.
Because I'm not a botanist myself, most of the websites I visit are over my
head and I'm unable to "weed" out the answer I'm looking for.

Some plants have only male or female sex organs, right?
These need a plant member of the opposite sex nearby in order to reproduce,
right?  (a bee or the wind distributing the pollen, for example)

Does that mean that if I were to isolate a female plant (by moving it far
enough away from any males for example), it would not be able to reproduce?

How far is far enough?  Do plants need a "mate" in the same yard?  Same
neighborhood?  Same state?  Same country?

Thanks so much!
cra2 "at" mindspring "dot" com