plant reproduction

rusty rusty1013 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 22 19:57:10 EST 2003

Also note from what I remember, some plants such as pine, produce seperate
male and female reproductive organs, and occur on seperate areas of the
plant.  Pines with produce cones that produce only pollen high up on the
tree, so that the pollen falls onto the female cones on the lower limbs.
Atleast, this is what i recall from college botany.

Rusty

news:7039c6ef.0301131519.67e58b23 at posting.google.com...

news:<3E230A72.1A728E9 at mail.bio.tamu.edu>...
> > Yes, in some species there are separate male and female plants.
> > "Separation distance" (to coint a phrase useless outside this thread :
> > -) ) depends on the mode of pollination.  It has to be as far as a
> > pollinating insect will go, or as far as water can carry pollen.  In
> > the case of wind-pollinated plants, it can be a very long distance
> > indeed.
> >
> > Case in point:  College Station, TX is up to its ears in yaupon holly,
> > a species with separate female and male plants.  It's insect
> > pollinated.  Because there's so much around, nothing is out of bug
> > range and every single female will always have fruit, even if there
> > isn't a male in sight.  If it were a more uncommon species, some truly
> > isolated females might go unpollinated.
> >
> > Case in point:  Encephalartos woodii, a poor cycad with only a few
> > remaining specimens, all of them male.  Without any females, no
> > reproduction. Last time I checked the literature, they weren't having
> > much luck tissue culturing or vegetatively propagating this handsome
> > plant, but that may have changed by now.
> >
> > Monique Reed
> >
> > cra2 wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry to bother you, but I have a curiousity about sexual reproduction
in
> > > plants and so far I've not been able to find an easy answer.
> > > Because I'm not a botanist myself, most of the websites I visit are
over my
> > > head and I'm unable to "weed" out the answer I'm looking for.
> > >
> > > Some plants have only male or female sex organs, right?
> > > These need a plant member of the opposite sex nearby in order to
reproduce,
> > > right?  (a bee or the wind distributing the pollen, for example)
> > >
> > > Does that mean that if I were to isolate a female plant (by moving it
far
> > > enough away from any males for example), it would not be able to
reproduce?

> > > How far is far enough?  Do plants need a "mate" in the same yard?
Same