palm plants questions

Jeff Shimonski tropica1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 24 18:23:10 EST 2003

Cutting the bark on a palm is not a good idea because it will never heal.
You can however "air layer" certain species of palms that have adventitious
roots. Chamaedorea sp are a good example of this. They can grow very
tall and eventually the heads may snap off. If they have adventitious roots
on the trunk, an "air layer" without cutting into the trunk can usually be done.
After the roots have begun to grow, the trunk is cut through and the much
shorter tree is then replanted.

Jeff