Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas?

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Wed Dec 1 02:23:19 EST 2004

The following university site quotes Ball Seed which says tuberous
roots of ornamental sweet potato are edible. It seems logical that
they would be because the mutation was in leaf coloration. A lot of
websites say they form tubers but they are actually tuberous roots.
Even the website below confuses sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) with
potato (Solanum tuberosum). They are in different families. Ipomoea is
in Convolvulaceae and Solanum is in Solanaceae.

Production Guidelines for Four New Crops -- Osteospermum, Angelonia,
Calibrachoa & Ornamental Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas)
http://www.umass.edu/umext/floriculture/fact_sheets/specific_crops/newcrops.html

This site below quotes the USDA's Vegetable Laboratory in Charleston,
South Carolina which says "‘Marguerite' seldom produces a "usable"
edible root and ‘Blackie' almost never does. If, by chance, such a
root is produced, there is no reason it could not be eaten."

http://www.mygardenguide.com/faq.html

David R. Hershey