Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas?

bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu
Wed Dec 1 11:01:35 EST 2004

In article <41AC8EF3.CE06323C at mail.bio.tamu.edu>,
Monique Reed  <monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu> wrote:
>I received this query today and don't have any info.  Can anyone offer
>an answer or personal experience?

I think you've gotten a good answer regarding edibility.

White sweet potatoes seem to be the most popular kinds in Korea and Japan.
The Korean greengrocers here all stock them and no other kinds.  The ones
I see all have red skin.  I find them dry and bland tasting, much inferior
to the usual moist orange or yellow fleshed kind, but perhaps in Korean
and Japanese cuisine they are prepared in a way that takes advantage of
the difference in culinary properties.