Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas?

Phred ppnerkDELETETHIS at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 06:38:46 EST 2004

In article <2004Dec1.110135.2587 at jarvis.cs.toronto.edu>, bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu wrote:
>In article <41AC8EF3.CE06323C at mail.bio.tamu.edu>,
>Monique Reed  <monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu> wrote:
>>I received this query today and don't have any info.  Can anyone offer
>>an answer or personal experience?
>
>I think you've gotten a good answer regarding edibility.
>
>White sweet potatoes seem to be the most popular kinds in Korea and Japan.
>The Korean greengrocers here all stock them and no other kinds.  The ones
>I see all have red skin.  I find them dry and bland tasting, much inferior
>to the usual moist orange or yellow fleshed kind, but perhaps in Korean
>and Japanese cuisine they are prepared in a way that takes advantage of
>the difference in culinary properties.

The sweet bucks of my childhood (grown by my uncle and cooked with the
roast chook for that special Sunday dinner -- at midday, in the
tropics, for crissake! ) had a slightly greenish tinge internally
when cooked and a very slightly "stringy" texture (more visual than
physical).  I don't remember their skin colour, but they were
*delicious* with a crisp outer shell from the oven roasting. :-)

I've got a patch of the orange fleshed kind in the backyard here; but
I admit they're basically just going wild (and doing it very tough due
to high temperatures and no rain) and I rarely think to harvest some
for a feed.

I'm told by a bloke who was breeding them here that the very sweet,
orange types are often used as a sweet (e.g. in desserts) in other
parts of the world; but it's not a common way of using them here in Oz
AFAIK.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE at THISyahoo.com.INVALID