Now for yams [Was: Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas?]

bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu
Fri Dec 10 01:50:26 EST 2004

Milford,
Pennsylvania.

I could also quote other versions of the diary search e.g. the
sketchy one in the book Katherine the Great. But the point is
clear that someone - perhaps more than one - is lying. The
versions are not reconcilable. And they can't be chalked up to
memory lapses, not for such an unusual, even singular event. It
is striking that even the time frame and principals involved
change between versions. Concerning the former, if the call from
the Truitts came in the night of Mary's death, why wait five days
to search for the diary? About the latter, either all the people
who say they were there were not, or are lying about the presence
of others. Rosenbaum got interviews with some of the principals,
Angleton, Bradlee, and others who gave him bits of information
(Cord Meyer would seem to be a source). Yet in his detailed
account he can, with a straight face, write that the bonds among
those involved in the search were so strong that years later,
some of them attended a seance to attempt to establish contact
with Mary's departed spirit. Can anyone imagine Angleton or
Bradlee sitting through a seance? (I could