Now for yams [Was: Edibility of ornamental Ipomoea batatas?]

Phred ppnerkDELETETHIS at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 02:09:18 EST 2004

been revealed, without knowing what his mission had
  been, seems inconceivable. (Davis p. 297.)

Imagine the images conjured up by this passage to a reader who
has not read the report. I had read the report and I thought I
had missed something. How did I forget about Kennedy's private
meeting with Tony Varona in the Oval office? JFK asks Varona why
he couldn't get at Castro and then pats him on the head and says
try it again. When I turned to page 124 in the report, I saw why
I didn't remember it. The meeting, as described by Davis, did not
occur. At the real meeting are Kennedy, Robert McNamara, General
Lyman Lemnitzer "and other Administration officials." Also in the
room "were several members of Cuban groups involved in the Bay of
Pigs." The report makes clear that this was the beginning of the
general review of the Bay of Pigs operation that would, within
three weeks, result in the Taylor Review Board which would then
recommend reforms in CIA control of covert operations. There is
no hint, so pregnant in Davis' phra