[Plant-biology] Black Soybeans

Kllmheid4 at aol.com Kllmheid4 at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 20:32:30 EST 2005

To Jerry Hoikka,
    I am an 8th grade student at Freeburg Middle School  in Freeburg,
Illinois.  I found your response to a question about  black seed coat color in
soybeans.  I am also doing a science project on  colored soybeans.  I am currently
in my 4th year with this project.  I  am growing yellow, black and mixed
(seeds containing black and yellow pigments)  started from the same cultivar.  This
year I was hoping to perform a  genetic study of the seeds that I have grown.
 Is there any way of testing  the DNA of my seeds?  Is there any way to
develop punnet squares with my  seeds?  I would also be open to other ideas that
you may have.
    In the past I have compared yield of yellow versus  black.  I have tested
and compared crude protein and crude fat on a  NIR(near infrared
spectrometry) machine.  I have also studied the health  benefits(isoflavones and
proanthocyanidins) of the black seeded glycine  max.
    I look forward to receiving a response from  you.

        Sincerely,

       Madelaine  Heidenreich