[Plant-biology] Re: BIOSCI/Bionet has a new home

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 08:18:03 EST 2005

BIOSCI Administrator wrote:
>   [...]
>   This is group has no moderator, unlike most other BIOSCI groups. If
>   one or more among you would to like to take on this responsibility
>   of filtering out unwanted postings, please contact me.
 >   [...]

Hello, Dan.

I am one of the people responsible for the creation of bionet-plants and
I was also the discussion 'leader' until a few years ago. Unfortunately,
I no longer work in plant biology but I do still read the newsgroup from
time to time. I've always thought that the BIOSCI newsgroups are both
interesting and useful, but that they need SPAM filtering rather than
moderation.

Increasingly, people are using RSS and Blogs, and Wiki, to do the things
we once did with mailing lists because of the large amount of SPAM being
sent to lists/newsgroups like this. Good luck with your venture anyway.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687