[Plant-biology] Re: Stabilising Aloe vera

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Fri Jun 24 15:30:15 EST 2005

in article d9heek$9io$1 at news8.svr.pol.co.uk, Dave at DVI7-2 at hotmail.com
wrote on 6/24/05 5:04 PM:

> Hi
> After recent BBC and TimesOnline news articles saying how beneficial Aloe
> Vera is I have been trying to find an organic, chemical free supplier.
> I have found one that says they use lemon juice to stabilise their product
> but another manufacturer, (who uses chemicals) says that's impossible
> because as soon as you cut it starts going off. They say it must have been
> heated which destroys most of the nutrients any way.
> I would value some unbiased scientific opinions (preferable in layman's
> terms if possible) on the validity of these statements.
> Hopefully this is the appropriate group to ask.
> Thanks for any input given
All unpreserved juices start to decay as soon as they are taken off the
vine/tree/bush. Lemon juice - actually the Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - is a
preservative that prevents oxidation. Herbalife used to sell a "natural"
aloe vera juice that had to be kept refrigerated. I'm not sure if it was
pasteurized or not.

John Gentile                            Editor,  Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at cox.net                      RIAG Web page:  www.wbwip.com/riag/
"I never make mistakes, I only have unexpected learning opportunities!"