[Plant-biology] Re: Stabilising Aloe vera

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Fri Jun 24 15:30:15 EST 2005

in article d9heek$9io$1 at news8.svr.pol.co.uk, Dave at DVI7-2 at hotmail.com
wrote on 6/24/05 5:04 PM:

> Hi
>
> After recent BBC and TimesOnline news articles saying how beneficial Aloe
> Vera is I have been trying to find an organic, chemical free supplier.
>
> I have found one that says they use lemon juice to stabilise their product
> but another manufacturer, (who uses chemicals) says that's impossible
> because as soon as you cut it starts going off. They say it must have been
> heated which destroys most of the nutrients any way.
>
> I would value some unbiased scientific opinions (preferable in layman's
> terms if possible) on the validity of these statements.
>
> Hopefully this is the appropriate group to ask.
>
> Thanks for any input given

All unpreserved juices start to decay as soon as they are taken off the
vine/tree/bush. Lemon juice - actually the Vitamin C, ascorbic acid - is a
preservative that prevents oxidation. Herbalife used to sell a "natural"
aloe vera juice that had to be kept refrigerated. I'm not sure if it was
pasteurized or not.

--
John Gentile                            Editor,  Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at cox.net                      RIAG Web page:  www.wbwip.com/riag/