[Plant-biology] Re: Light used to help plant Photosynthesis

bae from cs.toronto.no-uce.edu via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by bae from cs.toronto.no-uce.edu)
Mon Oct 16 15:06:52 EST 2006

In article <pan.2006.10.16.15.46.13.327744 from Trinity.Sweden.se>,
Kalisto  <kalisto from Trinity.Sweden.se> wrote:
>Hi
>just wondering, can i use a normal Halogen Lamp to help my plant grow...
>I'm in Sweden and its dark most of the day in winter.. do i need a special
>lamp or will a high intensity halogen do the trick.
>
>I don't need the plant to grow super fast, just survive it through the
>winter.

Halogen lights are too hot and will dry out or burn your plants.
Fluorescents are the way to go -- they emit mostly light rather
than heat, so are more economical as well.  You can use pretty much
any normal sort of tube -- cool white, warm white, daylight, etc.
Here in North America, 4 foot (~120cm) fixtures and tubes are the
cheapest.

If it's just one plant, you might want to use a 15 or 20 watt compact
fluorescent in an adjustable desk lamp.

Remember the inverse square law: twice the distance from the source,
light is 1/4 as intense.  Also, while there are a lot of refinements
to growing plants under artificial light, overall, quantity is more
important than quality (i.e. optimal wavelength distribution) so for
your purposes, a simple solution should be more than adequate.  A
longer exposure at a lower intensity equals a shorter exposure at
greater intensity -- and unless you are trying to trigger flowering,
for most plants 24-hour light is not a problem.