[Plant-biology] Re: question

bae At cs.toronto.no-uce.edu via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by bae At cs.toronto.no-uce.edu)
Fri Jan 19 00:47:28 EST 2007

In article <1169081510.947517.75970 At v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
dh321 At excite.com <dh321 At excite.com> wrote:

>There are crops where pollinators, such as bees, have to be excluded to
>prevent seed formation, as in seedless cucumbers grown in greenhouses.
>Pineapples are naturally pollinated by hummingbirds, which are banned
>from Hawaii to prevent cross-pollination and seed formation in
>pineapple fruit.

Here in Canada, pineapples come from Central America, where there are
lots of hummingbirds.  Still, these pineapples are seedless.  I've seen
the rock-hard, pea-sized seeds of wild pineapples, and was under the
impression that domestic ones are sterile triploids.

How do Central America pineapple producers keep the hummingbirds out
of their crops, and still manage to put pineapples on the supermarket
shelves in Toronto for $2-4 each?