[Plant-biology] Re: Plant ID

Molly Day via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by mollyday1 from yahoo.com)
Thu May 17 11:39:44 EST 2007

Hi -
  I sent the photo to a friend who is an herbalist and here is her response -
   --------------------------------------
  Well, that didn't take long - from the photo it appears flowers only have 4 petals, which why I thought it might be a phlox, BUT - NOT.

  From my reference book's photo & plant description I think it is:

  SPECTACLE POD Dithyrea Wislizenii (mustard family).  These are grayish plants that branch near the top & are 1-5 ft tall. Leaf blades are broad, taper to the tips & without petioles. The flowers grow in terminal racemes that may be a ft long in the fruiting state. Each flower has 4 light blue or purplish petals (although in the book & in your photos the flowers look almost white to me). Each fruit is shaped like the two lenses of a set of spectacles.  They are found on sandy slopes throughout the western 1/2 of the state.  Bloom time is May - August.

  NOTE: The book I bought & use is out of print now.  It's Roadside Flowers of Oklahoma by Doyle McCoy

Stephen Sentoff <steve30401 from hotmail.com> wrote:
  Big John wrote:
> No one there has any idea
> what they are, so I will appreciate any clues.
>
> Thanks --
>
> http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/xjohn7015/CIMG0171.jpg
>
> p.s. I know what the little red ones are -it's the large white ones I'm
> interested in.
>
> Big John

I'd say it's a mustard of some sort. Maybe that's enough to get you
pointed in the right direction.

--
Steve

Martha Stoodley