[Plant-biology] Re: Plant ID please

KLU via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by kennetu from gmail.com)
Thu Oct 18 18:53:41 EST 2007

On Oct 14, 10:24 pm, Raphanus <lester.we... from gmail.com> wrote:
> Piedmont area of South Carolina.  Xeric pine farm.  This one has me
> stumped because it hasn't bloomed and I worry that winter will get it
> before it does.  I have only seen 3 or 4 specimens so it's not real
> common here.  See...
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/
>
> Thanks

First the leaf is not trifoliate. What appear to be appendages, if you
will to the leaf are actually "appendages" to the petiole. Hence the
leaf is simply serrate with winged petiole.

With the picture provided I can only get it to a Genus, Crataegus,
Family, Rosaceae; The common name for the genus is Hawthorn. Without a
mature specimen, IE flower delineation to a species is near
impossible. Send a picture of it to the Herbarium at Clemson,
attention Patrick McMillan and Patrick can likely give you an idea of
the species.