[Plant-biology] Re: Plant ID please

Raphanus via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by lester.welch from gmail.com)
Thu Oct 18 22:02:06 EST 2007

On Oct 18, 7:53 pm, KLU <kenn... from gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:24 pm, Raphanus <lester.we... from gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Piedmont area of South Carolina.  Xeric pine farm.  This one has me
> > stumped because it hasn't bloomed and I worry that winter will get it
> > before it does.  I have only seen 3 or 4 specimens so it's not real
> > common here.  See...
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/
>
> > Thanks
>
> First the leaf is not trifoliate. What appear to be appendages, if you
> will to the leaf are actually "appendages" to the petiole. Hence the
> leaf is simply serrate with winged petiole.
>
> With the picture provided I can only get it to a Genus, Crataegus,
> Family, Rosaceae; The common name for the genus is Hawthorn. Without a
> mature specimen, IE flower delineation to a species is near
> impossible. Send a picture of it to the Herbarium at Clemson,
> attention Patrick McMillan and Patrick can likely give you an idea of
> the species.

Thanks for the help.  Crataegus flava are fairly common here - so
perhaps it's just an immature specimen of that. It has no spines -
yet. It's not going away - about 10 meters from my front door.  We'll
see if it flowers next spring.