[Plant-biology] Re:Strange Fungi

Luna via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by ladyluna from pa.net)
Thu Jan 31 12:36:04 EST 2008

At Wed, 30 Jan 2008, "bulucanagria" <bulucanagria from no.where> wrote:

>http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562324067tCDHJq
>
><snip> would really love to know what these beautiful plants are.
>Thanks would go to anyone who could enlighten me.
>Danny Blue

Danny,
  The browser on my ancient machine crashed when I tried to look at the
photos full-sized, but your "fungi" appear to me to be what is locally
known as "ice plant" or "Indian pipe."  They're not fungi but a
saprophyte.
Try doing a search online for images of "Monotropa uniflora" and see if
they match your plants.  Your description of their microclimate sounds
right.  They are a lovely sight to behold on a mid to late summer's walk in
the deep woods, usually in the vicinity of eastern hemlocks in my experience.

Hope this helps

Luna
(wildcrafting herbalist based in PA, USA)