[Plant-biology] Seeking variations of alder for breeding it as a grain crop

Michael Bell via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by michael from beaverbell.co.uk)
Fri Aug 7 13:38:28 EST 2009

Barbara

"PNW" = "Pacific North west"?

Alnus incana and glutinosa has thin "rims", I suppose you could call
them "wings". The whole thing has to be bred bigger, but the wing may
not come off as a single piece which can be separated by winnowing and
seiving methods. That may not matter. I propose grinding/milling in
usual way. Some people pay more for "Brown bread"

I know there is a long way to go, and many obstacles be overcome, but
now that I have a highly productive variety, all that I need now is
bigger seeds, and alder can "take off". After that there will be
continual improvement, far beyond my time. Wheat has been in
cultivation for 10 000 years and it is still being worked on.

Michael