[Plant-biology] Re: Doubled Haploid Lines

Michael Bell via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by michael from beaverbell.co.uk)
Sun Aug 16 12:17:35 EST 2009

In message <mailman.779.1250216214.21502.plantbio from net.bio.net>
          David Haak <haakd from uw.edu> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am looking to develop some DH lines (actually a number of them),
> does anyone know of any commercial endeavors in DH line development?
> thanks,
> David Haak

> PhD Candidate
> Department of Biology
> University of Washington
> Seattle,  WA  98195-1800

David

I might need doubled haploid lines to be developed, but not as a
commercial venture, more like the open source ideas of Linux and GNU -
I'm not too clear on the exact legal structure of it all. I believe I
can get more cooperation from people on this basis, and so far, I have
had a good response.

The project is to develop alder as a grain crop. I have found an
interesting variation in the wild, I am looking for more and I can
foresee the need for doubled haploids for reasons which I don't have
to explain.

If you feel that you cannot waste your time on a project which is for
free, I fully understand, but I have no idea where to start, I would
be grateful for your reading list. There is no urgency, I cannot start
til next spring.

Regards

Michael Bell