[Plant-biology] Re: Question re: fertilizing plants

Billy via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by wildbilly from withouta.net)
Thu Apr 22 15:47:10 EST 2010


In article <mailman.440.1270752650.25217.plantbio from net.bio.net>,
 Mohamed <myakub02 from yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I have a hybrid tomato genotype that I need fruits and seeds from; however it 
> is currently not flowering, and looks rather "sad." I intend to add some 
> fertilizer (it gets a weekly regime of fertilizer in small doses); however, I 
> read somewhere that Bloom Boost (don't know which brand exactly) is supposed 
> to promote flowering - which I can then hand-pollinate to obtain seeds, so as 
> to not lose this genotype. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly 
> appreciated. 
> 
> Thank you
> Mohamed Yakub
> myakub02 from yahoo.com
> 
> 
>       

Tomatoes need 6-8 hr. of direct sunlight daily. If you are growing it 
inside, it will be tall and thin as it is reaching for the sun. If you 
are growing this inside, you should invest in a grow light.
Nitrogen will encourage vegetative growth in plants, not flowers and 
fruit. What you need is bone meal (P) and wood ash (K), or an organic 
0-10-10. The middle number (P) is the most important for flowering.

Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners 
by Suzanne Ashworth, and Kent Whealy
http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-Techniques-Vegetable-Gardeners/dp/1882
424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271968573&sr=1-1

p. 155-156
Tomatoes are inbreeding plants. Most modern tomato varieties have 
totally retracted styles. Such flower structure severely limits (and may 
totally preclude) any crossing between these varieties. Three groups of 
tomato varieties have been found to have protruding styles, however: 
currant tomatoes, L. pimpinellifolium; all of the potato-leaved 
varieties of L. lycopersicum', and any fruit formed from double blossoms 
on beefsteak types of L. lycopersicum. Potato leaved tomatoes have 
rampant vines and smooth-edged leaves that resemble the leaves of a 
potato plant.

Although not all tomato varieties have been examined. most modern 
varieties available commercially will not cross with one another due to 
their retracted styles. Seed savers should therefore have no problem 
with cross-pollination when growing one currant tomato (or one 
potato-leaved variety) and any number of modern varieties with styles 
that are covered by their anther tubes. Caging can be used to prevent 
crossing when more than one variety of  L. pimpinellifolium or more than 
one potato-leaved variety of L. lycopersicum are grown in close 
proximity. Double blossoms, commonly seen in amongst the early flowers 
of beefsteak tomatoes, often have exposed stigmas, making them more 
prone to insect cross-pollination. Seeds should not be saved from double 
fruits for this reason.
----
Lightly brushing the plant with your hand several times a day, is more 
than sufficient, and it will make the plant stronger.

Now comes the problem. You say that this is a hybrid plant? F1? The 
seeds that come from hybrids most likely won't give you a plant like 
they came from. I've seen it happen with Juliet tomatoes, but it is 
rare. They won't reproduce to form.

I'll look back in to see if you have other questions. Otherwise, you may 
want to come over to rec.gardens.edible for varying opinions.
-- 
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the 
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Zinn/HZinn_page.html


More information about the Plantbio mailing list