[Plant-biology] trangenic arabidopsis with only one true leaf on Hygromycin plate

Wenxu Zhou via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by wzhou from cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Wed Aug 25 22:17:05 EST 2010

Hi All,

I am working on a transgenic Arabidopsis to change its phytosterol
composition.

The gene was transferred via flora dipping, the gene was driven by 35S
promoter and the vector has hygromycin resistance marker.

During the screening for homozygote, I germinated T1 seeds on Hygromycin
plate (50ug/ml) for 7days and found the seedlings were wired:

There were three populations of seedlings with 0, 1 and 2 true leaves,
respectively.  After couple more days, the new pairs of leaves appeared from
seedlings with 1 leaf or two leaves, but not the seedling without true leaf.
All seedlings grow well after transferred to soil, and when seeds geminated
on normal MS medium, their growth were normal.

Looks like the abnormal growth of seeding is results of Hygromycin stress,
but I want know whether or not this phenomena is very common to Hygromycin
stress?

Thanks

Wenxu Zhou Ph. D.

The University of western australia