[Plant-biology] Postdoc Position University of Florida, TALEN mediated mutagenesis of sugarcane

Altpeter,Fredy via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by altpeter from ufl.edu)
Sat Dec 1 15:20:37 EST 2012

Postdoc Position University of Florida, TALEN mediated mutagenesis of sugar=
cane
Postdoctoral researcher position in TALEN mediated targeted mutagenesis of =
sugarcane is available at the University of Florida. The position will be p=
art of our expanding plant metabolic engineering and bioenergy research foc=
us, which is co-funded by USDA, USDOE and industry. The postdoc researcher =
will participate in the development of TALEN mediated mutagenesis and advan=
ced genetic transformation technology for sugarcane. The research objective=
s include the development of a protocol for TALEN mediated mutagenesis of s=
ugarcane and its application for sugarcane improvement and transgene stacki=
ng. The research will involve vector construction, tissue culture, genetic =
transformation, enzyme and reporter gene assays, qRT-PCR, sequencing of the=
 targeted integration site, Southern blot analysis, biochemical analysis. F=
or this position the incoming postdoc will have extensive experience in vec=
tor construction, molecular characterization of transgenic plants, tissue c=
ulture and genetic transformation of plants using agrobacterium-mediated ge=
ne transfer, experience with homologous or site specific recombination will=
 be a plus.  The incoming postdoc will have an excellent command of oral an=
d written English and scientific management skills. He or she will be able =
to prepare various reports, publications and grant proposals. We particular=
ly encourage recent graduates with the relevant research experience to appl=
y. Besides this postdoc position, we also welcome graduate students with ex=
ternal support to join us for our expanding bioenergy research.
The monocot biotechnology research program was established at the Universit=
y of Florida in 2001 and has successfully developed advanced protocols for =
genetic characterization and improvement of sugarcane and other grasses via=
 agrobacterium-mediated or biolistic gene transfer (2012 sugarcane publicat=
ions: Plant <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22924974> Biotechnol J.<htt=
p://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22924974> (2012) Dec;10(9):1067-76; In Vitr=
o Cellular & Developmental Biology =96 Plant (2012) 48:15-22; Plant Cell Ti=
ss Organ Cult (2012) 111: 131-141; Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult (2012) 108:29=
7=96302). The general lab environment is collaborative, friendly, dedicated=
, and constructive. We expect our future colleagues to have three calibers.=
 First, he or she should be highly motivated, dedicated, proactive on miles=
tones, and enjoying scientific research. Second, he or she should have basi=
c scientific training for aforementioned background, excellent communicatio=
n, critical thinking and problem solving skills. Third, he or she would lik=
e to work relatively independently yet also be collegial. University of Flo=
rida is a major research university located in Gainesville FL. Gainesville,=
 FL provides affordable and high quality living. For further information, p=
lease visit our website http://agronomy.ifas.ufl.edu/fredy-altpeter/profile=
/.

If you are interested in this position, please submit your application by e=
-mail to Fredy Altpeter at altpeter from ufl.edu<mailto:altpeter from ufl.edu>. Pleas=
e provide also details on your US visa history (if foreign applicant), cont=
act details of three professional references and earliest starting date.

Fredy Altpeter
Professor
Agronomy Department,
Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Program
University of Florida, IFAS PO Box 11O300
3085 McCarty Hall
Gainesville, FL32611-300
Tel.: 352 273 3418 / 3401
Fax: 352 392 1840
E-mail: altpeter from ufl.edu<mailto:altpeter from ufl.edu>
http://agronomy.ifas.ufl.edu/fredy-altpeter/profile/
http://pmcb.ifas.ufl.edu/faculty/index.shtml
http://www.floridaenergy.ufl.edu/?page_id=3D9430