post translational modification: DOPA?

Eric E. Snyder eesnyder at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Thu May 2 10:08:30 EST 1991

I heard an interesting talk last night... just in passing,
the speaker mentioned an invertebrate protein containing
17% dihydroxyphenylalanine (aka DOPA)!  I couldn't believe
this...

Have I been living under a rock for the last 25 yrs?

How common is this protein modification?

Is it post-translational?

Does it occur in vertebrates?

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology              ...making feet for childrens' shoes.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu