Proteins as oligomers

Mark Strom strom at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Oct 24 18:30:43 EST 1991

I'm looking for novel methods for determining whether a bacterial
cytoplasmic membrane protein (a peptidase) must form a dimer to be
enzymatically active.  Preliminary results obtained from complementation
of transposon insertion mutants with truncated clones of the gene for this
peptidase (either deletions or with gene fusions to alkaline phosphatase)
indicate that it may not be a monomer.  I'm aware of standard genetic
methods that could be used but at the present, the types of mutants
necessary for a genetic analysis are not available.

Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark Strom
Department of Microbiology SC-42
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
Internet:  strom at u.washington.edu    phone (206)543-4318   fax (206)543-8297