3D crystal coordinates for recently published data

CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV
Wed Oct 2 08:08:55 EST 1991

> MAIL VIA INTERNET FROM BIOSCI-REQUEST at genbank.bio.net  WEDNESDAY  10/02/91  6:47:43 A.M.

> Date: 1 Oct 91 23:50:00 EDT
> From: "RICHMOND, R C (USF)" <richmond at biotek.ifas.ufl.edu>
> Subject: 3D crystal coordinates for recently published data
> To: "proteins" <proteins at genbank.bio.net>
>
> I am unable to find in the materials available from the EMBL coilation of
> the Brookhaven Protein Data Bank the crystallographic data for two recently
> published structures: Torpedo Acetylcholinesterase (Science 253:872, Aug. '91)
> and a lipase (Nature 351:761, June '91). Can anyone out there tell me how
>  long
> it takes for new structures to become available or who I can contact about
> getting the coordinates for these new proteins.  Than!!  Rollin

There are several aspects to your question that make a definitive answer
difficult.

First, the coordinates must be deposited in the Brookhaven database
by the authors of the paper.  The current policy of the International
Union of Crystallography is that coordinates should be deposited
at the time of publication, but that the author can request that
they not be made public until a year after the paper is published.
Most journals have adopted that policy.  Exceptions are
the journal of Molecular Biology which allows a two year
delay and Nature which has no policy.  John Maddox Editor of Nature, explained
his reasons about a year ago.

The second problem is that there is currently a backlog at the Brookhaven
Database.  Although steps are being taken to alleviate the situation,
the delay can be substantial, over a year.

For more information contact Tom Koetzle at Brookhaven.

Jim Cassatt