protease mutants in fungi

Walt Lilly C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Thu Apr 9 09:06:06 EST 1992

Apparently, a message I sent several days ago was aborted so here goes a
second try.  We are attempting to isolate mutants for specific proteases
from a wood-decaying fungus.  Does anyone have suggestions for a
selection scheme that might work?  We know that the proposition will be
complicated by the fact that several different proteases are produced
and secreted.  Both endo and exo proteases are produced by the organism
and some of them are up-regulated during N deprivation.

Is anyone aware of commercially-available peptide substrates conjugated
to a toxin?  I am thinking of something that might release CN, for
example, upon hydrolysis.  Thanks.

*  WALT LILLY                     *                                    *
*  DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY          *  INTERNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU *
*  SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIV. *  BITNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM            *
*  CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO 63701       *                                    *