those pesky glycoprotein stains...

Cathy Quinones quinones at biology.ucsc.edu
Tue Jul 13 18:06:05 EST 1993

Here's another question regarding this thymol-sulfuric acid protocol I am
bent on using.  The following is a direct quote from the source of the
said protocol (Methods in Enzymology. 1990. vol. 182, page 537):

	3. Immerse the gel in the above solution containing 0.2% (v/v)
	thymol (Sigma) for 90 minutes with gentle rocking......

By the way, the "above solution" is a 2-propanol/acetic acid fix.

I dutifully placed my order with Sigma, and what I got (all they sell)
is thymol in crystal form.  My question is: is the "v/v" a typo?  In any
case, could anybody out there tell me how to make it through step 3 ???!

Maybe, someday, I will actually dare to run these gels....

[and, in case the machine does its usual trick, my address is
	quinones at biology.ucsc.edu	]

Thanks!