Effect of Methanol on Stokes Radii

Carl Weatherell weathere at emr1.emr.ca
Fri Jul 16 09:36:40 EST 1993

I am currently examining secondary retention effects on SEC
stationary phases under denaturing conditions (3.5mM SDS, variable I
and variable [CH3OH], pH=4-7).  I understand that the Stokes radius
of the SDS-protein complex will increase in the presence of CH3OH.
Can anyone suggest why or point me to a general reference so I can
determine why.  If this  question sounds a little silly, it may be because I am an inorganic chemist by trade!  Thanks in advance.

Carl Weatherell
EMAIL weathere at emr1.emr.ca