Pre-stained protein markers

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 14:36:05 EST 1993

In article <CAFKDE.7AD at news2.cis.umn.edu> paul-b at molbio.cbs.umn.edu writes:

>We need a procedure for "pre-staining" proteins to run on SDS-PAGE so that the
> markers are visible on the gel while its running.  BioRad sells such markers
>but they're very pricy.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Paul bucciaglia
>U of MN Hort Dept.

I too have been wanting to make my own pre-stained markers. I saw that
Stratagene use Uni-Blue A (Sigma and relatively cheap). I also just saw a
protocol in June Biotechniques pp 925-930 for blotting stained proteins to
transparencies. The authors pre-stained proteins with various dyes (including
UniBlue) by  conjugating BSA, 100mg, in 0.1M sodium borate buffer 9ml, pH9.0,
stirring at room temp. for 2 hours. Dialyse the conjugate against water 2 x
4 litres fro 48 hours. This should work for any protein, however one must
calibrate against known standards.

Good luck.

Duncan

 Duncan Clark                       | Internet:   duncan at genesys@demon.co.uk