Enzymes as mechanical devices

nvett at ac.dal.ca nvett at ac.dal.ca
Fri May 21 08:18:52 EST 1993

Yes response to the discussion appears to be slow. I like prof. William's
analogy to the hand in glove while illustrating the "enzymes as mechanical
devices" concept.  I have a problem, however, in picturing the enzyme
as a mechanical device--I mean it is difficult to envision something like
a robot moving its "arms".  I hope that everyone understands what I am
trying to project here.  It is here that I would like more input as to
what people think.  I like to picture an enzyme molecule as a very
dynamic system that undergoes conformational changes during the catalytic
process but not as a rigid mechanical device.  Anyway, I shall wait
a little while yet for more input.  I would like to hear from Prof. Williams
on this.  Cheers, Nat.