Countng prot bands after SDS-PAGE

d fitzgerald djpf at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jan 25 16:21:25 EST 1994

I am cleaving a radioactive protein of 67 kD into two large fragments.  I
then separate the fragments from the parent protein by SDS-PAGE.  I would like
to get an accurate count of the radioactive fragments from slices that are
excised from the gel.  Is there a way to dissolve the gel and make the
counts fully available to a liquid scintillation cocktail?
Or is there some other trick that can be used to get the same result?

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.