Mystery Band

Ding Ming ming at
Mon Jan 31 17:35:11 EST 1994

genecutl at (gc) wrote:

> out as a doublet, with a small amount of the protein running slightly
> higher than the rest.  Regardless of the initial amount of this higher
> form, it invariably increases over time, during the purification and
> especially during storage afterwords (at 4 degrees).  The abundance of
> the mystery band increases until it is roughly 50% of the total protein.
> We've done some mass spec on the mixture and see only one predominant
> mass, with some minor oxidation products (not enough to account for the
> mystery band).

If you are talking about sds-page, it sounds to me that a dimer may form on
the gel. If this is a native page, the conformational shift could be
counted on. How many cys does it have? Is the Met still in the N-terminal,
or this is cut from fusion protein?

How did you judge the minor bands in MS(electrospray?) as oxidation

Ding Ming                           Telephone: (608)265-3544
University of Wisconsin-Madison          Fax: (608)262-7420