QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

Ben Davis bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 01:50:36 EST 1994

Ken Prehoda (kenp at nmrfam.wisc.edu) wrote:
: In article <2vbu05$det at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>
: Ben Davis, bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk writes:
: >	I think that more proteins need to be characterised under denaturing
: >conditions before the question of structure in unfolded proteins can be
: >answered properly. Certainly in the cases where unfolded proteins have
: been
: >characterised (434 repressor, FK506 BP) structures have been found. They
: >tend to be marginal, rather than persistent, but they do seem to be
: formed.
: >This kind of implies that local interactions can form, and so presumably
: >would form early in a folding reaction.

: You make a valid point, however, I would suggest that the only
: denatured states that we see in the literature are those that have
: some type of structure (however little it may be).  For proteins that
: do have fully unfolded denatured states, there is little incentive
: to publish.

	GIven the amount of work it takes to characterise a denatured state
fully (I'm primarily talking full NMR assignment + std biochemical evidence)
I'm absolutely sure an example of "totally dentaured protein" would get
published, espc. since there aren't any yet ...

: -Ken Prehoda
: kenp at nmrfam.wisc.edu

	Ben

Ben Davis,