QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

David G. Rhodes rhodes at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Jul 6 17:01:13 EST 1994

On Jul 6,  8:49pm, Simon Brocklehurst (Bioc) wrote:
> Subject: Re: QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins
> kenp at banyo (Kenneth Prehoda) writes:
>
> >Simon Brocklehurst (Bioc) (smb18 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
> >: Ken Prehoda <kenp at nmrfam.wisc.edu> writes:

....lots of other stuff deleted ...

>     I am arguing that the end state you see depends on the pathway
> you are allowed to go down.  The important point on the pathway
> being, of course, the transition state.  So from where I stand,
> the idea that hydrophobic collapse happens before hydrogen
> bond formation is extremely relevant: the early stages of folding being,
> all about pushing the protein towards the transition state.
>  ______________________________________________________________________
>  |  ,_ o     Simon M. Brocklehurst,
>  | /  //\,   Oxford Centre for Molecular Sciences,
>  |   \>> |   Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford,
>  |    \\,    Oxford, UK.
>  |           E-mail: smb at bioch.ox.ac.uk
>  |_____________________________________________________________________
>
>-- End of excerpt from Simon Brocklehurst (Bioc)

Has anyone else noticed the appropriateness of the sig here??  Many of us
have used the hiker or skier analogy in discussions of approaches to local
or global energy minima.  Imho, these arguments work pretty well.

| David G. Rhodes                   | RHODES at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU   |
| Pharmaceutics Division            |                               |
| College of Pharmacy               | Phone:(512)471-4681           |
| The University of Texas at Austin | Fax:  (512)471-7474      }:)  |
| Austin, TX   78712-1074           |                               |