QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

chs211 at stud.chem.ethz.ch chs211 at stud.chem.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 7 13:15:33 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul7.162642.35028 at ucl.ac.uk>, spbcnsp at ucl.ac.uk (Mr Neville Steven Percy) writes:
|> Loadsa people write:
|>
|> [...] Loadsa stuff -- an excellent thread! -- [...]
|>
|> BUT: Mark J. Dresser wrote:
|>
|> >QUESTIONS:  What role do/could tertiary interactions play in stabilizing
|> >the alpha-helix?
|>
|> Tertiaries are bound to play a strong role, and in fact quaternaries have
|> been completely overlooked in this thread so far!

  It seemed obvious to me that tertiary interactions also could play a very
important role in the stabilization of secondary structural elements, which
is why i found the papers by G.D. Rose et al somewhat disturbing (see first
message in this thread for the references).  In particular, in the _Science_
(1988), 240, 1632 ff. paper, statements like "It is possible that helices
lacking NTB's and CTP's can nevertheless be stabilized by tertiary interactions,
...".  Is it not also possible that tert. interactions stabilize helices
that *have* NTP's and CTP's?  This question is not adressed in this paper or
the more recent articles.

Yesterday Simon Brocklehurst wrote that "the distinction [between sec. and
tert. interactions] is trivial".  I disagree.  If tert. interactions do
indeed play a strong role in the stablization of helix structures, for
example, this should not be ignored, and in my opinion, at least in the papers
that i originaly mentioned, it has been.

Does anyone know of any research that has been done in this area?  If so
please let me know.

thanks,

Mark

Mark Dresser
Department of Chemistry
The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Z"urich
e-mail: chs211 at stud.chem.ethz.ch