QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

Andrew, Tel. +39-6-91093434 WALLACE at IRBM.IT
Thu Jul 7 12:56:08 EST 1994

Neville Percy wrote:
>Loadsa people write:

>[...] Loadsa stuff -- an excellent thread! -- [...]

I agree this is a great thread. Keep it up!

>>BUT: Mark J. Dresser wrote:

>>QUESTIONS:  What role do/could tertiary interactions play in stabilizing
>>the alpha-helix?

[stuff deleted]

Not sure if what follows counts as an example of tertiary interaction, but I
was at a meeting recently where there was some discussion on alpha-helix
stabilisation, where it was put forward that in flavoproteins there is
stabilisation of the C-term region of one of the helices in the flavin binding
site by interaction with the phosphate group of the cofactor. I don't have any
details on this but maybe some of you molecular modellers out there could have
a look.

Just my tuppence worth...
Andrew
   Andrew Wallace, IRBM P. Angeletti, Pomezia, Italia.

               Voice: +39-6-91093434
               Fax:   +39-6-91093225
               Email: wallace at irbm.it

         "IRBM - The home of the Minibody"