QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

Christoph Weber cweber at oci.unizh.ch
Fri Jul 8 10:30:55 EST 1994

Simon Brocklehurst (Bioc) (smb18 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

:  (stuff deleted)

: As an aside to your point about  keeping proteins in jars on benches.
: I'm sure you know that a lot of enzymes loose activity over time.
: Some people have postulated that when this happens, the proteins are
: going into a deep energy minimum, becoming less flexible, and thus
: loosing activity.

I'd much rather say that this is chemistry happening, not physics.
Things like oxidation, deamidation and such. Enzymes are *reactive* anyway.
But back to the main thread, I'm having fun watching it.

Christoph Weber                     email: cweber at oci.unizh.ch
OCI  Uni Zurich                     phone: +41 1 257 4925
Winterthurerstr. 190                FAX:   +41 1 361 9895
CH-8057 Zurich,  Switzerland