Phe/Phe interactions in proteins

Stephane Vuilleumier svuilleu at
Mon Jul 11 07:57:14 EST 1994

In article <DAVID.12.000C8DFC at>
DAVID at (Dave Myburgh) writes:
>Hi all
>I am interested in finding out more about pi-bonding between the rings of
>phenylalanines.  (stuff deleted) My interest is in Phe residues interacting
>with each other in adjacent helices in transmembrane proteins (mainly G-
>protein coupled receptors).
>If anyone knows of a reference, I would really appreciate it.

try Singh & Thornton, Atlas of Protein Side Chain Interactions, IRL Press,
Oxford, 1991.
The same authors also have at least one specific paper on the subject of Phe/Phe
interactions although I fainbtly recall seeing a more recent update: the
paper is FEBS Lett. 191, 1-6 (1985).

Stephane Vuilleumier, Ph.D.
Mikrobiologisches Institut
ETH-Zentrum/LFV                       Phone:  (+41) 1 632 33 55
8092 Zurich                           Fax:    (+41) 1 262 06 47
SWITZERLAND                           e-mail: svuilleu at