Phosphorylation of Proteins - Detection?

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Wed Jul 13 15:38:28 EST 1994

In article <2vitui$q7q at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au>, forrest at biosci.uq.oz.au (acer) wrote:

> G'day all,
>         Does anyone know of a NON-radioactive procedure for testing whether a
> protein is phosphorylated or not?

You might try western blotting with antibodies against phosphotyrosine
(which I know are available) or phosphoserine or threonine (which I think
are now available).  Then detect with ECL.  We have done this with anti
P-Y antibodies and the technique is VERY sensitive.  To be even more
specific you could immunoprecipitate your protein with specific antibodies
before you run it on the gel for a western.  Hope that helps.

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu         LandLine: 401-456-6572