QUESTIONS: alpha-helix "signals" in proteins

Cornelius Krasel krasel at
Wed Jul 13 15:15:18 EST 1994

Joshua Cherry (cherry at wrote:

[about the speed of protein folding]

: I wouldn't say that fast folding MUST be sequence independent just
: because "all" proteins fold fast.

What does "fast" mean in the context of protein folding? I am not a
structural biologist (heaven forbid), but the beta-2-adrenergic receptor
needs apparently about 30 min to be correctly folded and/or processed
(B. K. Kobilka, JBC 265, 7610-7618, 1990). Admittedly this is a
membrane protein, but nevertheless the process does not seem to be
"fast" :-)

/* email: krasel at                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (Edward O. Wilson, 1975)    */